Monday, May 21, 2007

Terrain......

When you talk to war gamers, there are two things they are passionate about. 1) their games, 2) terrain. Mini's come and go, sculpts change... but mention terrain and you get the blood of a war gamer flowing.

Most gamers will argue about types of terrain, resin vs cardstock vs hand created. I personally prefer all three.

As a model railroader, hand crafted terrain is the ultimate in realism on a small scale. But would you really want your gaming buddies running ramshod over that beautiful peice of scenery that took you endless hours to create?

Resin terrain is great. I didn't have to create it and all I had to do was paint it. Hmm Hmm good. Oh wait, hey be careful with tha...... smash, crash.... sounds of your resign terrain smashed into little bits because some oaf has butter fingers (or like me, Essential Tremors). You also have to purchase multiple items if you want to have many of the same items on the board. At this time Armorcast has the best selection, but there are literly hundreds of Resin Terrain Makers out there. This is where Google will prove its worth to society.

Cardstock, at this period in my life is the best value for the money. If a piece gets broken, or damaged beyond repair, you print another sheet (or sheets) and cut, score, fold, glue, burnish. Easy as pie. Of course you don't get the detail that most war gamers want in their terrain, but how often does the detail actual effect game play? It effects egos but not game play.

There are several Cardstock artists out there and World Works Games has numerous artists working for it and their stuff is good. I mean really good. Check them out. I own numerous of their sets and Matt Lyons and Paul Senior are my favorite artists at World Works Games. Mel Ebbles has great vehicles and Mech stuff that he creates. It's really cool stuff. I have everything he has created and they are tough to build... really tough, but I don't mind a challenge.

There are some carstock manufacturers that make purchasable cardstock. I personally do not like those because if I screw up the item or it gets damaged, then, like resin terrain, I have to purchase a new one. Paper Creek Models has these types of buildings and they are primarily used with model railroads. But their stuff is extremely detailed and I have used them on my model railroads... but then huge warmachines don't come speeding across my railroad. LOL.

Later on, I will post all the terrain places I know of, Cardstock, both downloadable and purchasable as well as Resin. So stay tuned Gentle Reader, there's more to come.



No comments: