Tuesday, May 29, 2007

18 years in the making....

My wife and I celebrated our 18th Anniversery this past weekend.

It was odd that we didn't do what normal couples do and get all mushy and cuddly, etc. She wanted to help get the pool ready for this summer (we live in a condo and there is a community pool). So we spent the day brow beating our kids into submission to help us get the pool furniture ready for the summer. We put the broken furniture back together and washed and cleaned 15 pieces. Hmmm... not a very romantic day... but that night she was very thankful for my helping out and getting one of her items off of her todo list. So she agreed to play one of the table top wargames that I play. A game called Gangs of Megacity 1. I was floored... she's never played any of those types of games in 18 years of marriage. *faint*. But play we did.

I of course won, and we discussed the pro's and con's of these types of games and why she didn't like them. It all boiled down to one thing... The randomness of the dice during combat. She didn't like the fact that she got her gang into a really good position, only roll misses and failed WtF rolls.

I can agree to some degree on that logic, but that's what it's all about. You get your troops into the right position, then the shooting starts.. who misses, who hits, who dies, and who pees their pants and runs away. Just like real combat. You may think your troops are all gung ho as you would be, but they are not. She thinks of each figure as a representation of herself, not just the leader, but all of them. During the game, one of her gang members got shot and went down, the rest of her gang, but her Top Dog (i.e. the leader) ran away. She was determined and took on my gang with just her leader. She's got some serious balls to do that.

She got some serious hits in on my gang and the game ended when my second in command blew off the arm of her leader. She was non too pleased.

But it was still fun and hopefully, with the prodding of my eldest, she will be involved during the games.

18 years. Wow. Wonder how long it will be for the next game.

No comments: